A pair of late Victorian brass kerb fenders

$2,530.00

A rare set of 6 Victorian brass kerb fenders with pierced frieze decoration and rounded moulded corners surmounted with turned bosses.
These can be split into pairs if required.
The quality of these curbs is superb and it takes two men to lift each one.
The provenance below was passed on with the purchase of these fire fenders by the vendor.

Provenance

BY REPUTE.

The magnificent Edwardian City Hall is the finest building of this superb ensemble, but is actually the fifth to have served as the centre of local Government. Little is known of Cardiff’s original ‘Gild Hall’, but the second Town Hall stood in the middle of St Mary’s Street until it was replaced on the same site in the mid- eighteenth century. The fourth Town Hall, on the western side of St Mary’s Street, was built in 1853 and remained in use until the present City Hall opened in 1904.

The Civic buildings stand in Cathays Park, once the site of a short lived Georgian mansion (1812-25), built for the 1st Marquess of Bute. The Bute family sold the 59 acres to the town in 1898, for £159,000. Plans were drawn up for the new buildings, and the new Town Hall (Cardiff was not yet a City) was to form its focal point.

The design is inspired by English and French Renaissance architecture, but has in addition all the presence and confidence of the Edwardian period, when Cardiff’s prosperity from the coal industry was at its height.it is understood that these rare set of 6 fire curbs came from the magnificent town hall.

Product Info Request

Category:

Additional information

Dimensions 12.50 x 60.50 x 8.50 in

Item Info

More info about this item.

Material:
brass
Period:
Late Victorian
Creation Date:
Circa 1880

Dealer Information

  • Store Name: Wick Antiques
  • Dealer: Wick Antiques
  • Address: Unit 2 Riverside Business Park Gosport Street
    lymington hampshire
    Lymington
    SO41 9BB
    United Kingdom (UK)