Of three door form, constructed in a well patinated satinwood, with kingwood cross bandings to the front and sides; rising from shaped bracket feet, the blind doors to the lower section having elliptical cross banding, and enclosing shelved interiors: the upper section having glazed doors, with thirteen pane astragals, each door dressed with a brass ogee guard strip; surmounted by an everted cornice, with a running pendant dentil adornment. Signed, ‘T. Willson, 68 Great Queen Street London’.
English, Circa 1840
Dimensions: 91 in / 231 cmW: 62 in / 157 cmD: 18 in / 45 cm
Thomas Willson are recorded in the ‘Dictionary of English Furniture Makers 1660-1840’, published by the Furniture History Society in 1986, as ‘furniture brokers’ over the period from 1799 until 1854, when their appearance in trade directories ceases; the pieces having been sold in the art market, recorded with Willson’s stamp, range in date from c1780-c1840, are invariably of high quality.
George Hepplewhite, one of the triumvirate of great English Cabinet Makers of the Eighteenth Century was established at St Giles Cripplegate London, his designs being posthumously published by his widow, Alice, in 1788, under the title ‘A Cabinet-Maker and Upholsterers Guide’. Her preface to the third edition, published in 1794 observes the aim ‘ to unite elegance and utility, to blend the useful with the agreeable’. Time has judged these sentiments, and incorporated his name in the small list of great designers and makers of the period.